A Qualified Domestic Relations Order, or QDRO, is a Court Order that legally allows a retirement plan to distribute money to someone OTHER than the plan participant such as a former spouse. A Divorce Decree states how the retirement benefits are to be divided, but a QDRO has very specific language that is unique to each plan and is required to be signed by a Judge, after the divorce decree is signed.
The Divorce Store prepares Qualified Domestic Relations Orders (QDRO's) for 401(k), 403(b) & 457 plans, ERISA, Federal and State civil service plans, police, firefighters, union plans, defined benefit plans, defined contribution plans, etc.
As in all of our full-service programs, we handle everything from start to finish. Our $499 fee includes:
- Initial drafting of the QDRO
- Submission of QDRO to Plan for approval letter
- Any required changes requested by the Plan
- Submission to AZ Court for Judge's signature *
- Submission of the Certified QDRO to the Plan Administrator *
Our fee includes everything but court costs; however, there is not usually any court costs if the QDRO is submitted either with the Decree at the time the Decree is signed or promptly after the divorce is final. There is an additional $18.00 fee to have each document certified.
* The Divorce Store can promptly prepare your QDRO for you regardless of where you live within the United States. If your divorce is not in an Arizona court, we will provide you with the QDRO along with a pre-approval letter from your plan (where applicable) along with simple instructions on how to submit it for the Judge's signature.
Getting started is easy! Simply contact the Plan Administrator and ask for a "Model Plan." This packet will provide all of the specific language that is required by the plan, as well as any other specific requirements they may have. Next complete our simple questionnaire and provide us with a copy of the divorce decree or proposed decree.
If more than one QDRO is required, we will prepare additional QDRO's if ordered at the same time as the first one, for only $399 each.